Monday, May 21, 2012

according to what?

The article I read was about Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei and his two new exhibits in D.C. "Fragments" is on display at the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, and "Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads," a collection of statues, is on display in the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden. The article reviews the merits of the exhibits, but also touches upon Weiwei's life as a prominent Chinese activist. Last year, he was detained by the Chinese government and is still forbidden from leaving the country. The official charges were of "tax evasion," though it is widely assumed that he has been punished simply for speaking out against the Communist party and its policies. Many of his works allude to the social problems Weiwei has witnessed in China. The two exhibits are a prelude of sorts to a retrospective of the artist that will be at the Hirshhorn this fall entitled "Ai Weiwei: According to What?"

I really enjoyed this article because I enjoy visiting D.C. and had not known that Ai Weiwei had two exhibits showing there. The Sackler Gallery is right next to my favorite garden and the Hirschhorn is my favorite art museum, so I will definetely be checking out his exhibits. I also really like Ai Weiwei as an artist and am familiar with his previous works, so I enjoyed reading the reviewer's interpretation of his pieces. It was also interesting to read about how Ai Weiwei has been a target of the Chinese government in light of what we've learned this year.

{via The Washington Post}

No comments:

Post a Comment