Sunday, October 2, 2011

"there are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle."

{quote by Alexis de Tocqueville}

When it comes to the dividing topic of political parties, I tend to shy away. However, if I were to choose a group I were more closely aligned with, I would say I learn towards Republican. This is probably based upon my parents' leanings, though I do have my own opinions about political principles. I believe in the basis of the Republican party, smaller government, because I believe that people should take responsiblity for their actions and the government should encourage such independence. Also, large government can become inefficient and redundant. In regards to economic policy, I also support Republican views (though I don't agree with the current zero-tax rhetoric.) As opposed to spending more on government programs, I think that we should make them more efficient. I also think that too many regulations are a burden to the success of businesses.

The quizzes we took in class pegged me as a Libertarian, which makes sense considering my often contradictory beliefs. I realize that this political philosophy is probably better on paper than in practice and logistics, but I am supportive of the Libertarian stance- socially liberal, financially conservative. What my political identification comes down to, though, really depends on the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment